What really makes you happy? Is it when everything in the world seems right, when you’ve got all your ducks in a row? Or maybe you feel happiest when you go back to your roots, surrounding yourself with people, places, and things from your childhood. But if you didn’t have the best childhood, what then?
People talk about The Pursuit of Happyness (yes, I’m making a reference to that Will Smith movie, it’s good, you should watch it). Are we really pursuing it? Or are we hoping that somewhere along the way we do something right and things fall into place? I guess it depends on your attitude.
Some people I know seem like they try to see the best in people. They look like they love their job, they actually enjoy taking public transit (for sleeping, reading, and people-watching of course). So how is it that I can’t find the same enjoyment in every aspect of my life?
Does this mean I’m an unhappy person? Well, no I don’t think so. Sure I’m sad, mad, and bitter sometimes, but aren’t we all? Some people just hide it better than others. Does that make them happier?
For me, my happiest moments are when I want to freeze time. I’m not happy all the time, but is anybody? I think that happiness is instantaneous. You need to adopt a “live in the moment” philosophy to really feel its effect.
Here are some moments when you might feel happiest:
- When you know you did something right
- The tight hug and light kiss of reunion when you’ve really missed someone
- Your pet’s reaction when you get home every day; their unconditional love and droopy side lip
- Getting into bed after a long day’s work
- Listening to your favourite song when it comes on
- Laughing at your car when it can feel your emotions and plays songs that reflect what you’re thinking
- Having someone cheer you up
- The feeling of cool, dry sand between your toes on a hot day
- The crackle of bubbles as you slide deeper into the bathtub
- The fireworks in your mouth when you pair the perfect ingredients together
- When you impress someone else
- When you get compliments
- When you can finally buy that new toy that you want
- When you had a good night’s sleep
- When you spread good karma
- When someone sincerely thanks you or commends your on your excellent work
- When equality is a reality
- When jokes are actually funny
- When you make a new friend
- When you reconnect with an old friend
- Fresh linens
- Warm baked goods
- Getting your paycheque
- Eating food
- When your parents make your favourite meal purely because they know you love it
- When you first start a TV series that you know you’re going to get hooked on
- When all the dishes are clean and the floor is vacuumed
- When someone you look up to gives you some great advice
- That breath of fresh air when you open the bathroom door after a long, steamy shower
What makes you happy? Here is someone else’s list. Add yours to the comments.